Victim Services Unit
Victim Services Unit Logo

Welcome to the Reno Police Department Victim Services Unit. We proudly serve victims of crime, treating them with respect and dignity while responding to their needs and concerns. We educate victims of crime on their rights and are committed to providing the most professional, empowering advocacy possible while assessing each case on an individual basis.

Victim Services Unit - Staff

The Victim Services Unit provides services to victims of crimes and/or their families/survivors. They provide information, resources, and support throughout the criminal justice process.

During office hours, please call 775-657-4519 to speak to a victim advocate.

VSU location: 455 East 2nd Street in the Reno Police Department, Main Station

Hours - 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday

Brie Bertges, Supervisor


Angelina Landeros, Victim Advocate (Español)


Megan Rix, Victim Advocate


Paula Hlade, Volunteer/Intern Coordinator


Kristen Kirkley, Victim Advocate


Madeline Hull-Taylor, Victim Advocate


Marisol Perez, Victim Advocate (Español)


Vanessa Rios, Victim Advocate (Español)


Lauren Reid, Victim Advocate


What We Do:

Your victim advocate within Law Enforcement will support, protect, and work to maintain your best interests. The victim advocate provides crisis intervention, support, safety planning, immediate basic need assistance, property return, assistance filing compensation forms and referral services.

To speak with a victim advocate, contact the agency at which your case was reported.

Reno Police Department

Victim Services Unit

422 East 2nd St, Reno


Washoe County Sheriff’s Office

Victim Advocate

911 Parr Blvd. Reno


Sparks Police Department

Victim Advocate

1701 East Prater Way, Sparks


Washoe County Juvenile Services/Jan Evans

Victim Services Coordinator

650 Ferrari-McLeod Blvd, Reno


Nevada Department of Corrections – Victim Advocate



The essential services the VSU provides are unique to the situation and individuals. The primary focus is to address the immediate health and safety of the victim. VSU Advocates respond directly to victims immediately after a crime has been committed and will thoroughly assess their needs to provide the appropriate services. These services may include:

Recovery after being the victim of a crime takes both time and the support of others. The VSU is here to help. Victims experience an array of feelings and reactions that are normal and important to the healing process. During many of these traumatic situations the added confusion of dealing with an unfamiliar criminal justice system is introduced. The VSU helps to provide a foundation for victims and their families by offering information and support. We can provide emotional support and practical assistance to crime victims, witnesses, and their family members.


The Victim Services Unit, located in the Detectives unit of the Reno Police Department, provides Advocacy to victims of violent crime. VSU Advocates are connected to victims via law enforcement, criminal and civil justice systems, community organizations and self referrals. Although many times a report has been filed, it is not required to access VSU services.

The following is a list of violent crimes VSU may respond to including a link for additional information and community resources.

Domestic Violence Crimes

Definition: Domestic violence generally is defined as a violent crime committed in the context of an intimate relationship. It is a crime involving the use of power, coercion and violence to control another.

Domestic violence is different from other random crimes because a perpetrator and victim are not strangers. Instead they are intimate partners, family members or parents of common children. This relationship, therefore, binds a victim to his or her perpetrator. For example, the victim may rely on the perpetrator for economic support or child support. Ongoing domestic violence is characterized by a pattern of escalating abuse in which one partner in the relationship controls the other through force, deprivation and/or the threat of deprivation or violence.

Pursuant to NRS 171.1225, the Reno Police Department would like to ensure that you have reasonable means to prevent further abuse by advising you of resources available in the community.

If you've reported your crime to RPD, the officer will provide you with this form, often called the 'VINE form' or 'yellow sheet' as it will be printed on yellow paper.


How to Apply for a Protection Order

After-Hours Emergency Domestic Violence Order

  1. The following eligibility conditions MUST be met in order for you to apply:
    1. The suspect who committed domestic battery has just been arrested, currently in jail.
    2. It is a weekend, holiday, or after 5PM on a weekday (i.e., the court is closed) at the time that you need to apply for the order.
  2. Call (775) 352-5000 immediately to speak to a staff member who will guide you through the process

Temporary Protection Order (TPO) Against Domestic Violence

  1. Fill out and a Protection Order Application in-person at the Family Court
  2. Interview with the Protection Order Advocate, who will conduct the initial screening of your case.
  3. Interview with the Court Judge, who decides whether to issue a Protection Order.

All other Protection Orders

  1. Fill out and submit a Protection Order Application in-person at the Justice Court*
  2. A Judge will review your application and will either grant or deny the order. The court clerk will notify you of the Judge’s decision.
  3. If the Protection Order is granted, you must retrieve the order from the Court and submit it to the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency for service.

* For a Sexual Assault Order, whether you are to apply at Family Court vs. Justice Court depends on the victim’s relationship to the suspect. If the victim has a "domestic relationship" (i.e., related by blood, marriage, living together, child in common, or dating) with the suspect, apply at Family Court. If the victim does not have a domestic relationship with the suspect, apply at Justice Court.

What to Bring When Applying

You are NOT required to file a written police report before applying for a Protection Order. There is NO COST associated with obtaining a Protection Order, and an attorney is NOT NECESSARY. The following items aren’t required to obtain a Protection Order. However, if any apply to your situation and you have them available, it is suggested that you bring:

  • Name and badge number of Police Officer(s) responding to this or prior incident(s)
  • Copy of police reports (if available) from prior incident(s)
  • Witnesses (or their contact information) to this or prior incident(s)
  • Emergency room report(s), photographs of injuries for this or prior incident(s)
  • Photographs of property damage caused by the suspect
  • Documentation of phone calls, notes, and/or written threats made by the suspect

Helpful Tips When Applying

For most protection orders, the process of applying, interviewing, and obtaining the order may take several hours and will require your return at a later time. If possible, make arrangements for child care. When parking, please allow for extra time, and park at meters that allow several hours. It is important to arrive on time for any interviews.

State Bar Lawyer Referral Service:


NV Confidential Address Program:


NV Domestic Violence Hotline:

1-800-500-1556 (TDD) or 1-800-787-3244

Committee to Aid Abused Women:


Safe Embrace:


Reno Police Department Victim Advocates:

775- 333-7789

Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Victim Advocate


Sparks Police Department Victim Advocate:

775- 353-2217

Sexual Assault Support Services, Crisis Call Center:

775-784-8090 or 1-800-273-8255

This document was last updated on 1/12 by Sexual Assault Support Services, Crisis Call Center, (775) 784-8085, crisiscallcenter.org. Court procedures and policies are subject to change, so please contact the courts directly if you have any questions.

Reactions to Trauma

Many crimes involve the use of force or violence against the victims. As a victim of crime, you may experience trauma – physical damage, emotional wounds, or shock caused by the violence you experienced. Reactions to trauma vary from person to person and can last for hours, days, weeks, months, or years.

With physical trauma, you may have cuts, bruises, fractured arms or legs, or internal injuries. You may have intense stress reactions where your breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate may increase, and your muscles may tighten. You may feel exhausted but unable to sleep, and you may have headaches, increased or decreased appetite, or digestive problems.

With emotional trauma, you may have emotional wounds or shocks with long-lasting effects. Emotional trauma may take many different forms such as:

  • Shock or numbness
  • Feeling disbelief, anger, or denial
  • Experiencing extreme tension or anxiety
  • Having outbursts of anger, memory problems, or difficulty concentrating

It is common to experience these reactions. To work through these feelings you have to access to a variety of resources. You may decide to:

  • Seek medical care to treat injuries and/or exposure to sexual transmitted diseases
  • Seek support from a friend, family member, or clergy
  • Access a hotline for one-on-one advice from a trained crisis interventionist
  • Seek individual counseling from a therapist or psychologist
  • Attend group counseling under the care of a metal health professional in a setting of people who have experienced similar traumas
  • Join a support group of other victims to share information about the impact of the crime and how to cope with it.

Ask your victim advocate for more information about these services and available resources to cover any costs

Community Resources

The healing process during difficult times can be overwhelming. During a time of crisis, you may need additional support. Below are a few community resources that may be able to assist you.

Washoe County Department of Social Services

  • Adult Services
  • 1001 E. 9th St. Building C, Reno, NV 89512
  • 775-328-2700

  • Elder Protective Services
  • 1155 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89512
  • (775) 328-2575

  • Human Services Agency(Child Protective Services)
  • 350 S. Center St., Reno, NV 89501
  • (775) 785-8600

State of Nevada Assistance Programs

  • Nevada State Welfare
  • Food stamps, financial assistance, medical coverage
  • 3697 Kings Row, Reno, NV 89503

  • Reno Housing Authority
  • Section 8 voucher program, public housing, affordable housing, senior housing assistance
  • 1525 E. 9th St, Reno, NV 89512
  • 775-329-3630

  • Victims of Crime Compensation Program
  • 4600 Kietzke Ln., Ste. I-205, Reno, NV 89502
  • 775-688-2900